Food and shelter insecurities are an unfortunate reality for students at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and nationwide. Nearly 1 in 3 students on our campus worries about not having enough food until they get money to buy more.
The Huskers Helping Huskers Pantry+, located on the 3rd floor of the Nebraska Union (room 348), provides a one-stop location to assist students. By simply scanning their NCard, students can receive food and hygiene items for free. Information about community resources for housing and other food assistance programs also are available.
Any current student at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln who is in need can stop by the Huskers Helping Huskers Pantry+ to pick up free food and hygiene items and/or to get help connecting to university and community resources related to food and shelter insecurity. Just remember to bring your NCard so we can verify that you’re a current Nebraska student. What does food and shelter insecurity look like? If you can identify with any of the following, please come use the pantry!
- You don't have a permanent place to live and you're couch surfing
- You don't have a permanent place to live and live at your workplace or on the street
- You live on-campus during the school year, but you're homeless during breaks and the summer
- You are at risk of eviction from your home
- You can't afford to buy healthy food to eat
- You can't afford food at the end of the month when you're waiting for your next paycheck
- You can only afford to spend a very small amount of money each week on food
- You skip meals or eat snacks for meals because you can't afford more
- You have to choose between paying bills and buying enough food
We’re located on the third floor of the Nebraska Union in the south hallway in room 348. It's easiest to find us from the south side of the Union (the R Street side). Simply take the stairs in either the Southeast or Southwest corners of the union or the elevator near the ASUN and UPC offices up to the third floor. We are just around the corner, next to the LGBTQA+ Resource Center.
|Mondays||Aug. 14th 10 a.m. to noon Aug. 21st TBD|
|Tuesdays||Aug. 15th 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Aug. 22nd TBD|
|Wednesdays||Aug. 16th 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Aug. 23rd TBD|
|Thursdays||Aug. 17th 2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Aug. 24th TBD|
|Fridays||Aug. 18th 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Aug. 25th TBD|
We are no longer accepting new volunteers for the Fall 2017 semester. If you’re a UNL student and you’d like to volunteer for the Spring 2018 semester, please contact Megan Scherling at email@example.com by December 1st, 2017. You’ll be asked to complete an in-person volunteer training prior to volunteering.
Volunteers work at least one, one-hour shift per week staffing the pantry and welcoming students. Volunteers are also part of the Pantry+ Student Advisory Board that meets once a month during the school year. Volunteers can also help with the following:
- Collecting donations from the donation bins and stocking and organizing the shelves
- Helping to market the pantry, reaching out to campus and community organizations to create awareness, staffing booths at involvement fairs, etc.
- Soliciting donations from university and community groups and helping to coordinate food drives
- Representing the pantry at events and picking up donations from food drives
It’s easy to help support husker students. You can drop off donations at the donation bins in the following locations:
- Jackie Gaughan Multicultural Center front desk
- Next to the kiosk near the first floor Welcome Desk on the North side of the Nebraska Union
- Outside the pantry
- College of Business Administration North atrium
- Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid front lobby (Canfield Administration Building, room 12)
- ITS front office (room 327) in Nebraska Hall
- Love Library South lobby (on the right side)
If you'd like a permanent donation bin for your building, let us know!
Gifts also can be made to the University of Nebraska Foundation, fund #01140700. On the foundation website, search the fund number 01140700. Online gifts can be made via credit or debit card, and an electronic donation receipt will be emailed to you. Memorial gifts can also be made through the foundation website.
Below is the list of items that we stock at the pantry. Items in bold are more needed at this time. OUR MOST WANTED ITEM OF THE MONTH FOR AUGUST IS PAPER TOWELS
- Canned beans (pinto, baked, & refried)
- Canned chili
- Canned fruit/fruit cups
- Canned meats (ex: chicken)
- Canned vegetables
- Condiments (ex: ketchup, mustard, salad dressing, etc.)
- Drinks (ex: juice, tea, etc.)
- Gluten-free items
- Granola/protein bars
- Instant potatoes
- Mac & cheese
- Microwaveable oatmeal
- Pancake/waffle mix and syrup
- Pantry staples (ex: flour, sugar, oil, baking powder/soda, salt & pepper)
- Pasta sauce
- Peanut butter (crunchy)
- Spices and seasonings
- Sugar-free items
- Trail/snack mix
- Body Lotion
- Body Wash
- Face wash
- Feminine hygiene products
- First aid items (ex: bandaids)
- Hair accessories (ex: hair ties, hair gel, etc.)
- Makeup remover/face wipes
- Shaving cream
- Toilet paper
- Cleaning supplies
- Disinfectant wipes
- Baby wipes
- Baby food
- Dish soap
- Hand soap
- Laundry detergent and fabric softener
- Manual can openers
- Paper towels
- Plastic baggies
- Plastic utensils
- School supplies
Please know that we cannot accept opened/used items; rusty, damaged or dented cans; expired food; homemade food; home canned food; alcohol; energy drinks; food with no label; or food that requires refrigeration or freezing. We also do not accept pet food or clothing.
Are you looking to partner on an event?
We’re fortunate to have many philanthropic student organizations and departments at the university. If you would like to partner on an event or would like to hold a food drive for the pantry, please contact us so we can assist you in your donation efforts.
We can create a custom flier for your event, help you promote it, and provide you with a list of our current needs. Just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call at (402) 472-8975.
If you have questions, we're happy to assist you. Feel free to stop by the pantry, give us a call at 402-472-8975 or email us at email@example.com.
Megan Scherling, Program Coordinator
Jessica Lanctot, Graduate Assistant
Student Advisory Board